Saturday, April 3, 2010

BP4_2010041_Web2.0Tool1_StoryJumper





The Web 2.0 tool I chose to learn more about is Story Jumper. Story Jumper is a place where you can create and publish your own stories. I will discuss further using the 5 W’s

WHO: Anyone can access this site. It is kid friendly and very inviting. It is free to use.

WHAT: According to the creators of Story Jumper, they wrote on the website “ Story Jumper is a site that gives parents, kids, and authors a fun set of intuitive tools for writing and illustrating kids stories. Our goal is to inspire anyone that's ever wanted to write a kids story to get started!” Using Story Jumper, I was able to create a book to help my students learn about rocks and minerals. Click on the link to view the complete story. http://www.storyjumper.com/book/index/145512/Rocks-and-Minerals

WHEN: 24 access online. Students can access class books with the use of a student code that the teacher creates. They can also create their own books to add to the class library (print or online). A teacher can create a story to use online, or publish a printed copy for only $24.95.

WHERE: http://www.storyjumper.com

WHY: This is a great tool for teachers to use to create books on the units they teach, or to inspire their children to write creatively. I think that it would motivate students to write more stories if they could see them come to life on Story Jumper.

HOW: Watch my ScreenFlow video to see how to access a book you have created. I also show you how to create a story of your own.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    What a great tool! I have to say that this 2.0 website came in the right time ! I was looking for ideas for the unit I am working on this month. My 8th graders need more practice using the past tense in French. I think this would be a great experience for them: It would certainly reinforce the vocabulary while stretching their imagination!
    I truly appreciate your efforts to share, present and explain your wonderful contribution :)
    Thank you very much!
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    How fun! Writing an appropriate age book for the class. Although my students are a lot older, this leads me to think about what if they wrote a book on their class work. This would help them with creativity as well as their storytelling abilities. I'm definitely going to have cj=heck this Web 2.0 tool out. Awesome idea! And thanks!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, This site sounds fantastic too! I love how you added the ScreenFlow, very creative! I also found a book-making site, tikatok.com/; it is a very cool site as well. I liked how Story Jumper provides the creator with tools to make the pictures. With Tikatok they provide you with some pictures you can insert onto the book pages or you can upload your own. I think it is great that Story Jumper the kids, parents, and teachers can create their own illustrations. This definitely sounds like a great tool and I can’t wait to explore it further. I also love how you wrote using the 5 W’s. You made this site very clear and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jen!
    This tool is awesome! Creating your own story and actually seeing it come to life will motivate anyone to produce their best work. I can picture my students’ reactions after telling them they can publish their own work on the computer (all smiles)! This connects with my post I wrote about why blogging is useful for students too. I realized that students put in more effort when they are writing for an audience (other than just the teacher). This is a great way to allow students to showcase their work and to have their work recognized by others, especially their classmates and parents. Thanks for introducing me to this site and for doing such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete